Which of the following is the most important in good writing?

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Creative Writing Bug

Do you want to write a novel? Do you have a slew of interesting characters and scenes and action sequences rattling around in your head? Perhaps they've been there for years, and perhaps you've even started on a book a few times, always topping off at around 50 pages. You go to work, put in your eight hours (probably far more these days), and always wonder if you've really got the literary chops to one day...one sweet day...write a real novel.

Here's my advice: just write it!

I know that may seem like one of those "easy-to-say-but-much-harder-to-do" kinds of statements, but I truly believe it. Over the years, I've encountered so many great people with the desire and potential to write good fiction who just never get around to it. They work in offices, on construction sites, in classrooms or factories; they possess incredible imaginations, but they doubt themselves far too much, at least in regards to their literary skills. Here's the thing: you don't need to create a masterpiece; you don't need to produce plots like Shakespeare or prose like Faulkner, and you don't need to quit your job or never see your kids again. You simply need give yourself a daily word count (say 500 words), sit down and write every day or every other day, and slowly build that book.

Now, I'm not saying it's easy, and I'm not saying you'll necessarily get published, especially by a major house. I've written 4 novels, and only the last two were published. Still, those other drawer-bound books taught me a great deal about the process of writing a novel and about myself as a writer and storyteller. They were invaluable, and to be honest I got a good deal of enjoyment out of writing them. When I finally approached my third book, I had writing discipline, I'd found my personal writing style, I'd experimented with methods of plot and character development, and I found motivation in all the words behind me.

Write your book. When you get to page 50, keep writing. Don't worry if it's lousy. You can always go back and change previous chapters. Enjoy the process, the characters, the oh-so-right word that appears in your mind when writing a difficult sentences. Writing is about connection, both to your readers and to yourself. So write, live, and connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment